Sunday, March 7, 2010

Thermo Pane Window Seal Broken

I have some moisture inside the glass of my family room windows, what do I have to do to fix it?

If the moisture is trapped between the glass panes you have thermo pane style windows. Thermo pane windows are constructed of 2 pieces of glass banded together at the edges with a space between them. The air in that space is vacuumed out and in many cases replaced with a type of gas that retards the transfer of heat and cold. In time that seal can be broken allowing air to enter into that space and along with that air comes moisture. The only remedy is to replace the glass. Many window manufacturers offer replacement sashes. A sash is the glass and the surrounding frame. If you cannot find the manufacturer then try a company that installs shower doors and mirrors, they usually can get the replacement glass. If you prefer to contact me directly I can recommend someone to replace the glass for you.

1 comment:

  1. I certainly agree. Replacing the glass is the only remedy. Moreover, when the glass panes are replaced, it's very important to install vapor-seal insulation or moisture trapping to prevent moisture.
    - DryTechRoofingCompany.com

    ReplyDelete